At Student Legal Services, we offer the following appointments: legal consultations and advice, notary services, immigration consultation, mediation appointments, and educational presentations.
You can learn more about these services and how to schedule appointments below:
Legal consultations and advice
Student Legal Services offers legal consultation and advice to students in a number of areas of the law. For a full list of our attorneys' areas of practice, please visit this page.
- Consultations are free.
- Services and communications are confidential.
- SLS is staffed by licensed attorneys.
- SLS staff is non-judgmental.
- Consultations are either in person or via Zoom.
- Submit documentation related to your matter before your appointment so SLS staff can review it.
- Complete the pre-appointment intake form online.
- Documents (e.g. lease, ticket, e-mails, pictures) can be submitted via an online intake form provided to you by SLS after you request an appointment, or the documents can be emailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Appointments are scheduled for 45 minutes.
- Scheduling an appointment does not bind you to any course of action or guarantee that SLS will offer representation.
- SLS staff may provide resources and referrals before or after your appointment.
How to request a consultation appointment
You can request a consultation appointment by emailing us at email@example.com or by filling out the appointment request form below:
Student Legal Services offers free notary services to students, faculty, and staff.
Please include a copy of the document you would like notarized with your request. SLS only provides in-person notary services.
How to request a notary appointment
You can request a notary appointment by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by filling out the appointment request form below:
At this time, Student Legal Services attorneys practice limited immigration law. In situations where it is appropriate, SLS will refer University of Iowa students to a local immigration attorney for an initial consultation and will pay for that consultation. SLS will not pay for subsequent appointments or representation.
How to request an immigration consultation appointment
You can request an appointment by emailing us at email@example.com or by filling out the appointment request form below:
Student Legal Services offers free and confidential mediation appointments to help students resolve disputes with other students. Mediation is a good option when students are having trouble communicating with each other or coming to a decision about a certain issue. Participating in mediation may stop a concern from escalating to the point of harming relationships or leading to severe legal and/or financial consequences.
Mediation at SLS is voluntary and all parties must agree to be present and participate. Each student will have an opportunity to explain the situation from their perspective and express their needs and interests. An attorney from SLS will act as an impartial mediator to help facilitate the conversation, explain the law (as needed), and help the students resolve their issues.
How to request a mediation appointment
You can request a mediation appointment by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by filling out the appointment request form below:
Make sure you view our services before you meet with us so that we can best assist you.
Areas of Practice
Learn about what areas of law our attorneys advise students on.